Staying hydrated is important year-round, however now that the weather is warming up it is even more important to drink plenty of water. It doesn’t have to be consumed plain though, without any flavor. In fact, there are many ways to enhance or add flavor without adding calories. Here are some fruit and herb combinations we love to add to ice water:
- Watermelon & Basil (add cubed watermelon and torn fresh basil leaves)
- Blueberry & Tangerine (add slices of fresh tangerines and smash or puncture blueberries before adding to water)
- Cantaloupe & Mint (add cubed cantaloupe & torn fresh mint leaves)
- Strawberry & Cucumber (add sliced strawberries and sliced cucumbers)
- Lemon & Lime (add lemon and lime slices)
The fruit and herbs will begin to infuse your water within 15 minutes or so. The longer they sit, the more they will flavor or enhance your water. Make a pitcher of a fruit water to keep on your counter as a reminder throughout the day to drink or add the fruit to a water bottle and keep refilling with water as needed. A pitcher can be made and kept in the fridge for up to 24 hours or so for best taste. These combinations can also be added to a carbonated (calorie-free) water such as Lacroix.