Ever get tired of eating the same meat, seasoned the same way, day in and day out? Just because you are following a diet doesn’t mean you have to eat your protein plain or that creating a recipe will be too complicated. Here is a sure fire way to cook pork to shred and flavor for different meals. And these are just three ways! The possibilities for creating quick but delicious meals are endless! Remember, the key is keeping it simple. We prefer to season our meats with just the basic seasonings so that we can prepare quick fix meals each day.
- Pork sirloin tip roast
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth or bone broth
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- onion powder
First, place your pork roast in a crock pot and set to cook on high for 3.5-4 hours. We like purchasing our pork from Costco and love that it is a pack of four individually wrapped roasts. Look for a sirloin tip roast as that is leaner at 120 calories for 4oz/112g F 1.5/C 0/P 23. Second, season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to your desired taste. Third, pour 1/2- 1 cup of the beef broth and cover with lid. The broth will ensure the pork stays tender and moist as this is a lower fat pork and no one likes a dry roast!! Once the pork is finished cooking, remove roast to a plate, shred with forks and return the meat to the crock pot if you like. We prefer to place all meat in one storage container and measure out our preferred portion for each meal or day as needed.
- MEAL ONE- Pork breakfast sandwich
- english muffin (Thomas brand)
- 2 oz/56g shredded pork
- one pan fried egg (Happy Egg)
- 1 slice of provolone ultra thin cheese (Sargentos)
- spinach leaves
- Tabasco green pepper sauce
- salt and pepper
- MEAL TWO- Shredded pork Quesadilla
- one Xtreme Wellness wrap (Ole Mexican Foods spinach flavor)
- 2oz/56g shredded pork
- 28g 4 Cheese Mexican Reduced Fat Shredded Cheese (Sargentos)
- 25g Red bell pepper (sliced in thin strips)
- 25g Red onion (sliced in thin strips)
- 11g Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce (Goya brand)
- 42g o% fat plain greek yogurt (Fage brand)
- cilantro leaves (optional)
- Place shredded pork into a bowl and mix in chipotle peppers with adobo sauce and set aside. Next, saute red peppers and onions in a pan with one or two sprays cooking oil and cook until tender. Add salt and pepper if desired. Remove peppers from pan and set aside. Place the wellness wrap in the same pan used to cook veggies and warm on both sides. Place shredded cheese on one half of wrap along with adobo pork, peppers/onions, and cilantro. Fold over wrap and remove from pan once cheese has melted. Cut and serve with greek yogurt (in place of sour cream) and salsa if you choose.
- MEAL THREE-Shredded barbecue pork only
- 4 oz shredded pork
- Sweet Heat barbecue sauce (Stubbs brand)
- add sides of your choice to complete the meal
Place pork in a microwave safe bowl and add one serving (2 tbsp or 32g) barbecue sauce and heat until warm. Serve with veggies such as corn and a salad. We had ours with corn on the cobb and a spinach salad with red bell peppers, cucumbers and ranch (for added fat)
*brands and choice of ingredients may alter calories and macros. Nutrition label facts have been rounded to the nearest calories and grams.
**fiber not included in calorie count on wellness wraps